Tuesday, September 8, 2009

JRN 420 Portrait Assignment


Joe Vercellino is a Midland, MI senior from Central Michigan University. Vercellino has been playing the guitar since he was 10 years old. Right now he is looking into becoming a solo artist doing singing and songwriting, and also becoming a motivational speaker to high schools all around the country.



Vercellino has always had a passion for music and using it to reach into the hearts of people everywhere. "I play because it's me. It's kind of a form of catharsis, it's allows me to release a lot of energy, capture memories or emotions, and really put my heart into something people can identify with."


Once I was able to get the rim lighting exactly the way I wanted it, the rest was much easier than I anticipated. I didn't have any problems with any of the lights, everything worked the way it was supposed to. I feel the rim lighting was able to separate my subject from the background very well. I do not feel the lighting was too harsh in any of the photos and everything was well lit and exposed correctly.

3 comments:

  1. The lighting on the face is better in the second photo, but your getting a weird fog on the overall image. Next time try turning down the floor lamp which is reflecting off the white wall.

    You need to move the curtain on the second image, beware of your backgrounds. If the curtain wasn't there you would have a nice salt and pepper contrast between what your subject is wearing and the background.

    Also watch out for cutting of limbs like fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe has a personality that you can just catch from his look, so good subject choice. I agree with matt, the fingers get cut off just a bit, and the 2nd doesnt have enough rim light to seperate his arm fully.contrats and tones are good, just in teh bottom photo add some more light from the back or side to have him pop out just a little more with his arm . nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like his facial expression in the top one

    ReplyDelete